Improve your roulette skills – Learn everything you need on roulette numbers and the hidden secrets of the roulette wheel and table layout
Gambling has long gone beyond land-based casinos. Every potential player has the opportunity to join the game at any time. From anywhere in the world and bet on his favourite roulette numbers or spin the slots reels. But the abundance of online casino games is so vast and diverse, how could one choose? Let’s talk about one of the most popular online casino games — Roulette.
To this day, roulette attracts many players with its simplicity and the opportunity to win an impressive sum of money. However, behind the seemingly simple game mechanics, there are many secrets that we’re going to have a look at. Roulette, like most gambling games, is based on numbers. Thus, players may come with a series of questions:
- Which numbers are better to use in roulette games?
- What is the best bet in roulette?
- What roulette number hits the most?
- Are there any tactics, or combinations?
- How to opt for the best roulette strategy?
As everywhere else, everything comes with experience and roulette is no exception. But, there are some nuances when choosing the best roulette numbers, and we will consider them in this article.
The European roulette wheel has 37 compartments (pockets) featuring all numbers from 1 to 36 and one zero (0). The main difference with the American roulette is that the latter has 38 divisions, including a double zero (00) as well. Taking in mind that the payout for a winning bet is 35-1 for the correct number, it means that players betting in the European roulette have more winning chances! Now let’s see the roulette numbers sequence in the different wheels.
- The clockwise sequence of American roulette wheel numbers is 0, 28, 9, 26, 30, 11, 7, 20, 32, 17, 5, 22, 34, 15, 3, 24, 36, 13, 1, 00, 27, 10, 25, 29, 12, 8, 19, 31, 18, 6, 21, 33, 16, 4, 23, 35, 14, 2.
- The clockwise sequence of European roulette wheel numbers is 0, 32, 15, 19, 4, 21, 2, 25, 17, 34, 6, 27, 13, 36, 11, 30, 8, 23, 10, 5, 24, 16, 33, 1, 20, 14, 31, 9, 22, 18, 29, 7, 28, 12, 35, 3, 26.
- The French roulette has the same number sequence as the European one.
In all roulette wheels (European, American and French) the numbers have the same color.
- Red roulette numbers: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 30, 32, 34, and 36.
- Black roulette numbers: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, and 35.
- The zero (0) in all roulettes and the double zero in the American Roulette are green.
The logic behind the roulette wheel and the numbers
But why do roulette wheels have this odd number sequence? This is one of the best-hidden secrets and also the answer to why roulette is such an amazingly balanced game. Everything is well thought out in order to accomplish four different things:
- Confuse the player, since it is very hard – especially for new players – to understand the wheel and the relation of the numbers and sectors. This makes it impossible to notice the details and bet on specific sectors. Note, that experienced roulette players know the roulette number sequence by heart.
- Consecutive numbers must be different coloured. This is an absolute condition for both types of wheels, American and European.
- Low (1-18) and High (19-36) numbers should alternate as much as possible. In European roulette, the only point where this condition is not met is the 5 next to 10. In the American wheel, there are many sectors with adjacent Low numbers and adjacent high numbers. This is why the American wheel is not considered as perfectly balanced as the European.
- Odd and Even numbers should be evenly distributed with no more than two even or odd numbers adjacent to each other.
But studying the wheel you will find some interesting facts. Fore example if you split the European roulette wheel in two halves from the zero, you will notice that on the left side are all the black low numbers and all the red high numbers. At the same time, on the right half are all the high black numbers with the low red numbers. Furthermore, in the 9-number sector 29-7-28-12-35-3-26-0-32 there is no number from the second dozen.
What is the best bet in roulette
As simple as it may sound, the best roulette bets are the ones that most often help you win at the casino. There are many strategies to win, and we will discuss them in more detail later in this article. So what kind of bets should be placed to win and how to calculate roulette table odds?
There is such type of bets as straight-up bets – these are the best numbers, betting on which can provide you with 35 to 1 odds for each swing. With this type of bets you don’t win so often, but the payouts are very high. For example, if you place a straight-up bet of $1,000 on one of the best numbers to bet – 7, this will help you win $ 35,000. You can leave the roulette table with an impressive win, or you can continue with the next direct bet of $35,000, again on one of the best numbers, which will bring you more than a million dollars win. Impressive, isn’t it?
Straight-up bets are risky, but the winnings justify the cost. If you prefer more measured and longer roulette game, then the best option for you is to bet on different numbers. In this type of betting, the winnings are lower, but your chances to win increase, because now you have different combinations of black and red, even and odd winning numbers.
Roulette bet types
In all roulette versions there are two basic bet types. The inside bets and the outside bets, which are derived from the bet position on the layout table. Inside bets have bigger winning payouts, but less chances, while outside bets have bigger winning chances and less payouts. Here are the inside bets, their winning probabilities and the payouts:
Roulette inside bets
- Straight bet: You bet on a single number including the zero, or the double zeros in the American roulette, directly on the number. Payout is 35-1 if you win. European and French roulette probability is 2.70% and American roulette is 2.60%.
- Split bet: A two number combination in which you place your bet on the line between those two numbers which must be adjacent. The bet may also include 0 and 1, 0 and 2, 0 and 3. Its payout is 17 to 1. Winning odds are 5.4% and 5.3%.
- Street bet: A three-number combination. All numbers are in the same row and you place your bet at the end of the row. Payouts are 11-1 and odds 8.1% and 7.9%.
- Corner bet: A four roulette number combination which is placed at the corner where these four numbers touch. The bet can also be placed on the corner of 0, 1, 2, and 3. Its payout is 8 to 1. Probabilities are 10.8% for European and French and 10.5% for American.
- Line bet: A six-number combination in two consecutive rows. You place your bet at the end of two rows, on the border between them and the payout is 5-1. Winning chances are 16.2% and 15.8%.
Roulette outside bets
The outside bets which have higher chances of winning and smaller payouts are the most popular among players. Here are the available options:
- Column bet: A 12 roulette number combination in which players place their bet at the end of the column. The first roulette column is 1-4-7-10-13-16-19-22-25-28-31-34. The second roulette column is 2-5-8-11-14-17-20-23-26-29-32-35. And the third roulette column is 3-6-9-12-15-18-21-24-27-30-33-36. The payout is 2-1 and the probabilities are 32.40% and 31.6%.
- Dozen bet: Another 12-number bet. In European and American roulette, the roulette layout table has boxes marked as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd which apply for numbers 1-12, 13-24 and 25-36. On the French table those betting boxes are positioned in the corner of the table and are marked as ”12P”, or PD which stands for Premier Douzaine (numbers 1 to 12), ”12M”, or MD for Moyenne Douzaine (numbers 13 to 24) and ”12D”, or DD for Dernière Douzaine (numbers 25 to 36). Payouts and odds are the same as the column bet.
- Colour bet: A bet on all red or black numbers placed on a box of the respective diamond colour which pays 1-1 and the odds are 48.60% and 47.4%
- Odd/even bet: A bet all even numbers or all odd numbers on the layout and is placed on the ”Pair” or “Even” box (all even numbers) or the ”Impair” or “Odd” box (all odd numbers). It pays 1-1 and the odds are 48.60% and 47.4%.
- Low/high bet: A bet on all low numbers (1-18) or all high numbers (19-36) and is placed on the ”Manque” box (numbers 1 to 18) or the ”Passe” box (numbers 19 to 36).
“En Partage” and “La Prison”
On the even outside bets (the ones paying 1-1 which are the Colour bet, Odd/even bet and low/high bet) lies the biggest advantage of the French roulette. In case players select one of those bets and the ball lands on the zero (0) they can take advantage of the ”en prison” or the “la partage” rule.
This means that players will either receive on the spot 50% of their bet (le partage), or they can select to imprison the entire bet (en prison). If the imprisoned bet turns out to be a winner on the next wheel spin, it will be released and the player will recover it without any earnings. Note, that in case the ball lands on zero on the next wheel spin, the player will lose the entire bet. The rule actually lowers the house edge to just 1.35%, which is significantly lower than the 2.7% of the European roulette and 5.3% of the American roulette.
In casinos where the “La Partage” rule is in play by default the player can indicate that he wishes his original stake to be “En Prison”. Alternately, he can just accept half of his stake back under the “La Partage” rule and continue play from that point.
Odds in different roulette versions
Whatever bet you think is the best or whatever number is the most popular, you should keep in mind that this information will only guide you to the right path, but does not guarantee victory — the advantage always remains with the casino.
The house edge, in the European roulette, is 2.7%, while the American roulette which has one number more (the double zero 00) has a bigger casino edge — 5.3%. So, it is more difficult for players to win. The winning odds will always vary depending on factors such as the bet you made, the edge of the casino in different variations of roulette, and, of course, luck.
There is of course the French Roulette as well, which has an even less house edge. Note that the word roulette is French and means “little wheel”. After all, the history of the game shows that it gained popularity right after the french revolution. The roulette cylinder was introduced in a primitive form, in the 17th century, by Blaise Pascal. He was a French physicist, philosopher and inventor. And he fused together popular English wheel games of the time in his quest to create for the perpetual motion machine.
The game of roulette as we know it today started being played a century later, around 1760, in France. And one interesting fact is that the first French roulette had two zeros! But this changed when casinos in Germany which wanted to compete introduced the single zero roulette to attract more clients.
The best roulette numbers
Success in a gambling game like roulette is often associated with luck and chance. Many people, both average players and experts, tried to determine which are the best roulette wheel numbers. It seemed that it was impossible, considering how many numbers on a roulette wheel there are and completely random would always win, but we managed to identify what number hits the most in roulette. The most popular roulette numbers are 17, 23, 24 and 7.
Let’s look at them in more detail. 17 is the most popular and best bet on roulette. This is often due to the fact that 17 is located in the center of the roulette wheel. So, 17 is the most frequent winning number on a roulette table layout and the best bet on the wheel. 23 and 24 – experienced players also recommend this pair of numbers.
They are located next to each other and quite often turn out to be the best roulette numbers. 7 – everything is simple here, players are very often attracted to this lucky number, the world symbol of gambling. These are some of the best and most popular ones, choosing which you may get lucky. All that’s left is to try your luck.
100% Up To €300
On Your First Deposit
Min. Deposit Is €1. Wager: X50 the bonus & deposit amount. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.
|Claim Now Read Review||Min. Deposit Is €10. Wager: X25 the bonus & deposit amount The max. bonus amount for this promotion is €500 General Terms & Conditions Apply. Please Read Bonus Terms At Casino's Promo Page. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.|
125% Bonus On Registration
150% With Crypto Deposits
|Claim Now Read Review||Min. Deoisit Is $100, 100% On Sports Up To $2000 - 10X Rollover 25% Casino Bonus Up To $625 - 30X Rollover. Max cashout $5000. 14 Days ExpiryGeneral Terms & Conditions Apply. Please Read Bonus Terms At Casino's Promo Page. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.|
The Red Lion Casino
750% Up To €/$3000
On First 3 Deposits
Min. Deposit £/€/$25. Wager: 50X the bonus General Terms & Conditions Apply. Please Read Bonus Terms At Casino's Promo Page. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.
|Claim Now Read Review||Min. Deposit £/€/$25. Wager: 50X the bonus General Terms & Conditions Apply. Please Read Bonus Terms At Casino's Promo Page. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.|
Grand Rush Casino
200% Up To $1000
+50 Free Spins
Min Deposit $5. Wager Requirements X50 On Deposit Amount + Bonus. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.
|Claim Now Read Review||Min Deposit $5. playthrough requirement of X50 unless indicated differently on the promotional material you received before a player can make a withdrawal. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.|
Get 100% Up To 1 BTC
+ 20 Free Spins
|Claim Now Read Review||minimum deposit of 2.000 μBTC. Wager X35. This offer is valid for 30 days from the moment of initial deposit. General Terms & Conditions Apply. Please Read Bonus Terms At Casino's Promo Page. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.|
250% Bonus Up To $1250
+200 Free Spins
18+ Gamble responsibly
|Claim Now Read Review||Minimum deposit of $25.00. Registration Free Spins and/or Match Bonuses have a maximum cash-out value of $100.00. Free Spins may not be available in all countriesGeneral Terms & Conditions Apply. Please Read Bonus Terms At Casino's Promo Page. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.|
Up To $1500
+100 Free Spins
18+ Gamble Responsibly.
|Claim Now Read Review||Minimum Deposit $25, Max Deposit $500, Wagering Requirement 30X Deposit+Bonus. Check Wager Chart. For Bonus Terms And Details Please Visit Offer's Terms & Conditions. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&C Apply|
300% up to $2000
+200 Free Spins
18+ Gamble responsibly
|Claim Now Read Review||Minimum deposit of $25.00. Wager X 45 for deposit and bonus amount. Bonus will only be available for 30 days after redemptionGeneral Terms & Conditions Apply. Please Read Bonus Terms At Casino's Promo Page. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. T&Cs Apply.|
Grand Eagle casino
100% Up To $300
21+ Gamble responsibly
|Claim Now Read Review||Please Read The General Bonus Terms And Conditions At Promo's Page. 21+ Gamble responsibly T&C Apply|
New Vegas Casino
3000% Up To $9000
For All Rival Slots
18+Gamble Responsibly. T&C Apply
|Claim Now Read Review||Minimum Deposit Is $100 And Max. Deposit Is $300. Wager X45, Please Read General & Bonus Terms And Conditions At Casino's Offers Page. 18+Gamble Responsibly.T&C Apply|
Unlucky and most unpopular roulette numbers
Players also have a list of unlucky numbers that many try to avoid. These numbers are 13, 0, 6 and 34. Players dislike numbers 0 and 34 only because of their unfortunate location. Numbers 13 and 6 are considered extremely unlucky and experienced players often recommend to simply avoid them. But, one can only count on luck, and who knows, maybe these numbers will bring luck and become the best bets.
What is the best roulette strategy: It’s finally time to talk about roulette strategies. Often, the roulette strategy in many gambling games is related to how the player plans to achieve victory. Some people prefer to bet on the best numbers or just on the numbers that mean something to them. In this case, the chance to win is slight and you will not stay at the table for long. But the win over the casino can be very large.
On the contrary, if someone wants to spend more time at the playing table, his choice is small bets, which, although small, allow you to win constantly. Some players prefer betting numbers that have the lowest winning chances. This way, they increase their chances of winning bigger sums, but this strategy is also quite risky.
Random Number Generators in roulette uses a complex set of technologies. So, each circle of the roulette wheel carries a huge diversity of outcome variations. We tried to inform you about the best numbers, the best strategies and the best bets in roulette. You just have to stick to a range of tips. Also, choose the right strategy for you and hope that your luck will not run out.
Roulette numbers FAQ
What numbers does a roulette wheel have?
The most popular versions of roulette wheel are American and European. The sequence of American roulette wheel numbers is 0, 28, 9, 26, 30, 11, 7, 20, 32, 17, 5, 22, 34, 15, 3, 24, 36, 13, 1, 00, 27, 10, 25, 29, 12, 8, 19, 31, 18, 6, 21, 33, 16, 4, 23, 35, 14, 2 The sequence of European roulette wheel numbers is 0, 32, 15, 19, 4, 21, 2, 25, 17, 34, 6, 27, 13, 36, 11, 30, 8, 23, 10, 5, 24, 16, 33, 1, 20, 14, 31, 9, 22, 18, 29, 7, 28, 12, 35, 3, 26
What are the best roulette numbers to bet on?
Many have tried to determine which numbers are the best in roulette. It seemed that completely random numbers would win more often, but we managed to identify the most likely ones. The most popular numbers in roulette are 17, 23, 24 and 7.
What are the best odds in roulette?
Winning against the American roulette house edge of 5.26% is harder than winning against the European roulette edge which is 2.7 %. That’s why players prefer European roulette.
What is the best strategy for roulette?
The strategy in roulette is related to how the player plans to achieve victory. With big straight-up bets, the chance is small, but the winnings will be large. With small bets on various combinations, the sums are not so big, but they allow you to win constantly. The numbers with the lowest odds of winning increase the winning amount, but the risk is high.