Barcelona is chasing Real Madrid, hoping for a miracle! In this city derby vs Espanyol Messi and Co are the clear favourites.
The giant FC Barcelona challenges city rivals Espanyol at home. A Barcelona local derby between two teams with a totally different target and strength: Barcelona, last year’s champion in Spain, is in second place in the table and continues to fight for the championship title, while Espanyol is in the last place in the table. Here is our Barcelona – Espanyol tip!
The battle to avoid relegation seems theoretical to be still possible, but with 11 points behind the 17th place, at least they must win each one of the remaining 4 games. Barcelona, on the other hand, desperately needs a win to stay in the championship race, because the gap to leaders Real Madrid is already 4 points.
Can Barcelona keep pushing for the title?
For Barcelona, of course, only the championship title counts, especially since they are the title holders for two years in a row. However, a lot seems to be going wrong this season, because in addition to the current 2nd place and poor form, the club has already changed coaches. Quique Setien took over from Ernesto Valverde as a trainer in January.
His record in 19 games: 12 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses. However, especially after the restart of the league, this doesn’t seem to be working as desired, because in the last 5 games 3 were ended with a draw. As a result, they lost the lead and are currently in second place with 73 points (Real Madrid 77).
Best attacking line in La Liga
Real Madrid is already 4 points ahead, which is why any further defeat could be decisive for the title race. In their 34 games so far, the Blaugrana have 22 wins and 7 draws. The remaining 5 games were lost. The big plus is once again the offence because with 78 goals they represent the best-attacking performance in the league. In the back, however, they conceded 36 goals and thus more than 1.00 goals per game.
At Camp Nou, the team is undefeated this season and 15 of 17 games ended up with a win. In those games, they score a strong 2.94 goals per game. 71% of home games, therefore, end up with over 2.5 goals. Despite the many draws lately, they have been unbeaten for 8 league games. Moreover, in the last 3 games, at least 2 goals have been scored per game.
The Europa League participant soon in Segunda? Last season Espanyol reached a sensational 7th place and qualified for the UEFA Europa League. There they were able to advance to the “32” where they were eliminated by Wolves. With only 24 points after the 34th match day, the situation is almost hopeless. They must win each one of the pending games and hope that the other teams lose their games. Nobody really believes in it anymore, but at least they want to annoy the city rival again. So far, they have only won 5 games this season, 9 games ended in a draw and 20 games were lost.
The second-worst offence in the league
With 27 goals they represent the 2nd worst attack in the league and with 54 goals conceded the 3rd worst defensive line. What could help them in this game is the away strength. In the away table they occupy a decent 14th place with 3 wins, 4 draws and 10 losses.
However, the current form is so bad that they have not won since 7 away games. The last 5 games have all been lost and the form table ranks them in the19th place. They won only 4 points in the last 8 games.
Stats for the Barcelona – Espanyol tip
- Barcelona head into the 172nd rival clash unbeaten in eight La Liga games (W5, D3). Having outscored opponents at home in the league this season by over 3.5 goals to one, and winning eight games here despite a ‘-2 handicap’, a clear cut win for the hosts seems likely.
- Since their last H2H home league defeat (Feb 2009), Barcelona has won ten straight La Liga home H2Hs, averaging 3.30 goals scored (GF 33, GA 2) and a winning margin of 3.10 goals. Three of Barcelona’s last four home league matches vs Espanyol have also seen them win both halves and score 3+ second-half goals.
- The ‘second-half goals’ theme remains significant, in the context of Espanyol’s preceding LL away defeats recorded in 2020 alone. All have come by a single-goal margin, with the deciding goal consistently scored in the second half.
- Despite being currently without a win in six (D1, L5), Espanyol has trailed at half time just once since the resumption of football in June (HT: W2, D4, L1).
- A win for Barcelona would be their 100th vs Espanyol in the Spanish top-flight (W99, D38, L34).
- Espanyol has scored just one first-half goal across their last 12 La Liga away games vs Barcelona.
Barcelona – Espanyol tip
FC Barcelona is the clear favourite in this game, but the odds on tip 1 are so low that we would advise against it. However, since Barcelona has been very defensive at home lately and has not conceded a goal in 4 out of the last 5 home games, we tend to tip 1 win to zero. The odds for this are much more lucrative. A tip that Barcelona wins both halves would be a good alternative.
Bet of the day: Barcelona – Espanyol
- 1 (Barcelona) to zero goal for away team (Espanyol)
- No Both teams to score
- 1/1 Half Time/Full Time
Within our extensive betting guides you can find various strategies that a player can follow in order to increase his winning chances. Never forget that the most important detail, is to have studied the… details of every match you are going to bet. Especially if you are willing to follow the specific match and include live betting in your menu!
Don’t forget to check the odds at our selected bookmakers and the best bookmakers! BetandSlots can be your perfect guide in online entertainment.